
After arriving at the hostel at night, I spent the next morning practicing walking across the street. Most people learned how to do this around elementary school but really, here it takes practice. There is a steady stream of traffic that never stops, not even for red lights*. NEVER. So, if you want to go across the street you must:
1. blazenly step off the curb
2. look into oncoming traffic
3. banish the thoughts of your imminent death if you continue into traffic
4. walk at a steady pace while dozens of motorcyclists and cars swerve (usually) around you
5. make your way among the fleeting spaces.
Sound like a game of frogger? It is. Luckily, driving a scooter in Bangkok along with just being a very bold pedestrian** equipped me well for the task. I had it down by the afternoon. I met up with an old friend from Bangkok for lunch and we roamed around looking for things for me to buy.
I returned to the hostel and found wonderful people to drink with and booked myself on a 3 days and 2 nights tour of Halong Bay the next day. Good start to the trip, I'd say.
* red lights are mere suggestions in Hanoi, often ignored.
** for "bold" read stupid - I once made a Mexican bus slam on its breaks to not hit me. whoops!
*** pictures to come when it is a bit more practical to add them on.
1. blazenly step off the curb
2. look into oncoming traffic
3. banish the thoughts of your imminent death if you continue into traffic
4. walk at a steady pace while dozens of motorcyclists and cars swerve (usually) around you
5. make your way among the fleeting spaces.
Sound like a game of frogger? It is. Luckily, driving a scooter in Bangkok along with just being a very bold pedestrian** equipped me well for the task. I had it down by the afternoon. I met up with an old friend from Bangkok for lunch and we roamed around looking for things for me to buy.
I returned to the hostel and found wonderful people to drink with and booked myself on a 3 days and 2 nights tour of Halong Bay the next day. Good start to the trip, I'd say.
* red lights are mere suggestions in Hanoi, often ignored.
** for "bold" read stupid - I once made a Mexican bus slam on its breaks to not hit me. whoops!
*** pictures to come when it is a bit more practical to add them on.
1 comment:
Love reading your posts...keep them coming! Sharen
Post a Comment