Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Sapa I: To tour or not to tour.


We as Westerners have become quite accustomed to planning our future. We like to know exactly what's going to happen. We forecast the weather so that we can plan. Plan, plan, plan. I decided not plan this month long trip in advance and within a week I had a plan. I booked a tour to Halong Bay and while it was enjoyable, it all so good and safe. For Sapa, I didn't plan. I chose not to book the tour and felt the oddball among the other tourbookers picked up at the hostel. So here's my grand experiment. It's been a while since I've actually played something by ear.

I arrived in Sapa and breakfast in the proximity of two German girls, I asked their perspective on the place and they recommended a motorcycle tour they did to the Tram Ton Pass which is also called Heaven's Gate and Silver Falls. I had no plan, so sure! Why not. I was going to just rent a scooter and go myself but the afternoon in minority villages sounded appealing so I signed up for that with the promise of an English speaking guide. The LP guidebook stated that the owner had her own camp of female guides however the guide I ended up with was a Vietnamese male. Hmmmm. As for the tour, the landscape was gorgeous with impressive green mountains everywhere but the visit to the minority villages were a bit disappointing. My guide spoke English in a convincing but indecipherable manner as in I was sure he was trying to speak English but had not a clue of what he was saying. In the end there was a lot of sitting, sipping tea, and listening to Vietnamese in 3 different villages. The "guide" left a lot to be desired. I returned to town and set out on figuring out the homestay.



Tabacco Bong, as illustrated by my driver.






Check out that bridge! I was holding my breath.

Silver Falls, Sapa, Vietnam


1 comment:

Diane said...

you are joining a family of 'planners' LOL Your future mil more so than the rest of us - but she is definately a planner.... to bad you tour wasn't up to par - I've found that "english" is many times up for interpretation... LOL